I have a confession to make … I do NOT like avocado! I have tried it in salads, on sandwiches, as guacamole, and even as a face mask, I just can’t enjoy it. But, my next confession is that I LOVE chocolate pudding! I would choose chocolate pudding any day over any of Grandma’s pumpkin pie, Auntie’s famous carrot cake, Sister-in-laws to-die-for cheesecake, or other tantalizing dessert.
So when I saw this recipe, I thought I would be open minded & give it a try. And I have to say that I was very impressed. The chocolate & sweetness factor is perfect, the creaminess is divine (and quite remarkable), and the options for toppings are endless. We choose to try organic shredded coconut, organic frozen wild blueberries, and organic raw whole almonds. You can find the original version of this recipe on this great blog by a Vancouver-based woman named Madhuri, who specializes in yoga & Ayurveda. I highly recommend her articles and videos for anyone interested in Ayurveda, yoga, and health in general.
So the next time you have some avocados but are tired of making guacamole and would rather something sweet – give this a try!
* And as a little disclaimer for others who are averse to avocado, this pudding has the least amount of avocado impact when eaten on the same day as it was made. Otherwise, the continuously ripening avocado flavour will start to creep in the leftovers.
SMOOTH & CREAMY CHOCOLATE AVOCADO PUDDING (Dairy-free, gluten-free)
Serving size 1-6 (depending on your generosity level)
- 2 avocados, ripe, medium size
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup – I use generous tablespoons to mask the avocado 😉
- 4 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1/3 cup vanilla or chocolate almond milk
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- shredded coconut
- crushed or whole nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts, etc)
- berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- sliced banana
- crushed candy cane (to get into the Holiday spirit)
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, scoop out the pit & scrape the avocado flesh into the blender.
2. Add all the other ingredients and blend.
3. Garnish with toppings of your choice, and serve.