This is one of the tastiest ways to get in a few servings of greens each day! You can enjoy it as a breakfast smoothie or at any time of the day. The avocado and almond butter give this smoothie a nice creamy texture, in addition to adding healthy fats and protein to help stabilize blood sugars and reduce sugar cravings. And the berries add the perfect amount of sweetness and makes the smoothie a beautiful purple colour.
Our favourite protein powders to use are Vega’s Vanilla Chai (which we also use in our warm breakfast cereal recipe), Vega’s Nutritional Shake French Vanilla, and Thorne’s Vanilla Vegalite (available from your local naturopathic doctor). If you’re not using a protein powder, adding a bit of sweetener such as dates, stevia, or agave syrup helps to bring all of the flavours together.
Your smoothie will be turn out to be any shade of purple, blue, or green depending on the amount of certain ingredients you add.
- • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (wild or organic are best)
- • ½ avocado
- • 1-2 Tbsp almond butter
- • large handful organic greens – baby kale, baby chard, arugula, green & red leaf
- • lettuce, spinach, broccoli stem, broccoli leaves
- • ½ cup vanilla ‘mylk’ (almond, coconut, or rice milk)
- • ½ - 1 cup cold water
- • 1 scoop your favorite protein powder (vanilla, original or berry flavours go well)
- other/optional ingredients:
- • ½ banana, fresh or frozen
- • ½ organic apple, peeled (apples are important to buy organic as they are on the Dirty Dozen List)
- • 1-2 Tbsp natural sweetener (maple syrup, agave syrup, honey, stevia)
- • 1-2 medjool dates (soaked for 10 mins if you don't have a high powdered blender)
- • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or powdered vanilla bean
- • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- • 1 tsp turmeric powder
- • 1 Tbsp spirulina powder
- • 1 scoop greens powder
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender, and blend on high for 20-30 seconds.
Leave a Reply