This recipe can be made up surprisingly quickly since you just have to get the grains started and add the rest of the spices and ingredients while it’s cooking. The more you make it, the easier it gets! Especially since you’ll find the combination of spices, fruit, nuts & seeds that tastes good to you (and as always… feel free to mix it up, add anything that looks tasty to you, and experiment as you see fit).
We initially wanted to call this recipe ‘Vega Vanilla Chai warm breakfast cereal’ but didn’t want people to pay no attention to the recipe if they didn’t have this Vega protein powder in their cupboard. But if you do have it, the Vanilla Chai flavour adds a delicious flavour!
WARM BREAKFAST CEREAL
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ¾ cup raw buckwheat groats (or short grain brown rice)
- ½ cup amaranth (can also substitute with millet or quinoa)
- 4 cups water
- pinch salt
Spices (mix & match as you please! choose between all or some of the following):
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon (or grate fresh cinnamon, break up stick and let cook in mixture)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cardamom pods
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 4-5 slices fresh ginger
- ½ – 1 cup original or vanilla ‘mylk’ (almond, rice, coconut)
- 4-6 dried prunes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp whole flax seed
- 1-2 scoop vanilla chai Vega protein powder
- Place grains in a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add a pinch of salt (and dried fruit, if using), and turn the heat down to simmer covered for 20-30 mins.
- While simmering, get your selected spices together and add them to the pot, stirring the mixture occasionally. Add more water or milk alternative if the cereal looks like it will run dry.
- When the cereal has reached the desired consistency, add fruit, seeds, and Vega protein powder if using. Mix everything together well, and then turn off heat.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy this nourishing and delicious start to your day!