GLUTEN-FREE CREPES (gluten-free, dairy-free)
You can enjoy these crepes as sweet or savoury, and you can also enjoy them as a healthy breakfast, lunch, snack, or a tasty dessert. As always, feel free to use your creativity, but here are some suggestions that we have for sweet and savoury crepes.
- sliced fruit: kiwi, apples, banana
- coconut yogurt
- nut or seed butter (almond butter, peanut butter, tahini)
- crushed nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
- seeds (toasted sunflower seeds, hemp hearts)
- maple syrup
- eggs, cooked to your liking
- turkey pepperoni slices
- chicken or turkey pieces
- sliced veggies: tomatoes, olives, cucumber
- roasted veggies: onion, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, leeks, broccoli florets, etc
- chopped mixed greens (baby kale, arugula, spinach, lettuce, etc)
- spreads: hummus, salsa, guacamole, dijon mustard
- quinoa salad (try our balsamic quinoa salad), scoop of rice & beans
- Daiya mozzarella cheese
Another really cool thing about these crepes is that if you omit the maple syrup and use unsweetened mylk, you have yourself a healthy, tasty homemade brown rice wrap!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ cup to 2 cup original or vanilla almond milk or other 'mylk' alternative (I find 2 cups is perfect, but less will give you a thicker more 'pancakey' crepe)
- ghee, butter, or coconut oil for frying
- In a small bowl mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and maple syrup. Add dry ingredients and stir until all flour is integrated.
- Gradually whisk in all of the mylk into the batter until there are no clumps.
- Set batter aside for 10-15 mins (during this time, I like to prep the fillings that I'll be using)
- Heat a 10'' frying pan or skillet on medium heat. Add a small pad of oil to evenly coat the pan.
- Add ⅓ cup batter into the pan and swirl the pan around to distribute the batter evenly over the pan.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until the edges of the batter turns a golden brown colour. Use a wide, flat spatula to gently flip the crepe and allow to cook for another minute.
- When done cooking, place crepe on a large plate and cover with a clean dishtowel until you're ready to serve.
- Repeat adding oil to the pan before adding the batter until all of the batter is gone and you have 7-8 delicious crepes ready to be served. Enjoy!
- Lots of tiny bubbles in the batter when you add it to the pan? add more batter
- Crepes turning crispy? turn the heat down
- Did your crepe turn out more thick, like a pancake? add more mylk to the batter
- Crepe sticking to the pan? add more oil and/or let cook for a few seconds longer