These muffins are especially great with paired with a mug of your favorite tea! These days I add millet to any of my muffin recipes – it just adds the perfect little crunch and completeness to the muffins. If you agree, you can add 1/2 cup uncooked millet to the dry ingredients.
APPLE SPICE MUFFINS (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Vegan)
- 2 ½ cups brown rice flour (or 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour + 1 cup sorghum flour)
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup cane sugar or coconut sugar (we use Madhava organic coconut sugar from costco)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp xantham gum (optional, but it does help bind ingredients together) (*Check out my post ‘A word about xanthan gum‘ for info & substitutions)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp each ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves
- ½ cup uncooked dried millet (optional)
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chopped tart apple (peeled or unpeeled) – make it 1 “generous” cup of chopped apple
- 1 cup vanilla rice or almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or organic butter
– Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil muffin tins or line with large paper cups.
– In a large bowl, combine flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, & sea salt (and millet, if adding). Mix together well.
– In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, milk, melted coconut oil & vanilla and mix together well.
– Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together – take caution not to overmix.
– Spoon batter into muffin tins until about ¾ to full (for smaller muffins, or completely full for larger muffins).
– Bake at 375 F for about 20-25 mins.