When I’m making this recipe, I like to prepare a lot of the recipe before hand by combining the seeds in a small dessert or custard dish and the spices in another. That way, they are ready to go when the time comes to add them.
We like to serve this over rice – our favorites are short grain brown rice, a wild rice mix, and white jasmine . We also add a handful of fresh chopped spinach on top of the rice just before we scoop on the dahl. Alternatively, you can stir in about 4 cups of fresh chopped spinach into the dahl at the end of cooking.
DELICIOUS RED LENTIL DAHL (vegan)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 tsp each black mustard seeds & cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, chopped (if you don't have fresh ginger, just omit this ingredient... ground ginger doesn't substitute well)
- 2 tsp turmeric, dried or 1 Tbsp fresh, grated turmeric
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne (or more for more spice)
- 2-3 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ½ cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 4-6 cups water (or veggie stock)
- 1-2 tsp sea salt (start with 1 tsp and gradually add more until you reach desired taste)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin & black mustard seeds, and cover pot. Heat until you hear them begin to pop, then quickly add onions & garlic. Sautee for 3-5 minutes.
- Add fresh ginger, if using, along with spices (turmeric, cumin, cayenne), carrots, and potatoes. Sautee for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add water & bouillon cube (or veggie stock).
- Rinse the red lentils and add them to the pot. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, turn down heat & simmer for 30 mins or more. Add salt to taste, stir well & serve.
- You can add a dollop of coconut cream to stir in, for extra nutrition.