CREAMY PESTO PASTA (gluten-free)
This recipe is a favorite in our household – definitely a once per week dish (at least!). It’s easy to make and is so satisfying with the perfect combination of mixed greens, pasta, and creamy pesto. The ingredients list may look daunting but it’s only because this dish is loaded with tasty veggies! And in the end, this dish is very versatile – you can use any combination veggies that you have on hand and it will be delicious.
- 1 package of your choice of pasta or spaghetti noodles*, cooked
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ purple onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped (use both floret & stem)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (ideally organic – it’s high on the Dirty Dozen List)
- 6 sprigs of asparagus, chopped into 1” slices
- 6 mini portabello mushrooms, sliced thin
- ½ cup plain organic yogurt (optional)
- ½ – 1 cup your favourite homemade or store-bought pesto
- baby mixed greens – spinach, mustard greens, baby kale, arugula, frisee, mizuna
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- green onions, for garnish (optional)
Optional addition for meat or meat alternative:
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes, cooked
- 12-18 small prawns, deveined & shelled and cut in half, cooked
- ½ block extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2” cubes sauteed in 1 Tbsp each olive oil & soy sauce
*Feel free to use any type of penne or long thin noodle… Try Tinkyada brown rice fettucini or spaghetti, TruRoots Ancient Grains Spaghetti, Prairie Harvest linguine or spaghetti, or TruRoots Penne (available at Costco) to keep it gluten-free. Or, you can use whole wheat spaghetti, spaghettini, or linguine if gluten is not a worry in your household 🙂
– Prepare pasta by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Break uncooked pasta in half and add to boiling water, along with a pinch of salt. Turn heat to medium-high and let boil for 7-10 mins, or until el dente. Drain & put aside when done.
– In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add all veggies into the pan and sautee until veggies are tender (but still a little crunchy) – about 7-8 mins.
– Turn heat down to low, add yogurt & pesto to veggies. Add pasta and stir to coat.
– Arrange baby mixed greens on a large plate. Add halved tomatoes on top of greens. Top this mixture with pasta & veggie mix, optional garnish, and serve while hot.