This dip serves well as part of a snack or meal. You can serve it with crackers & veggies, with nachos, or scoop it onto a wrap with some veggies and other fixings for a tasty burrito. It’s a nice alternative to hummus but it can also be served alongside hummus and other dips such as guacamole, salsa, and coconut sour cream/yogurt. For a quick & easy vegetarian meal, we like to pair this dip with a green salad, and rice jazzed up with chopped veggies, ground cumin, lime, and salt & pepper to taste.
Bean dips are a great way to sneak some protein into your child’s diet… serve it with veggies and they could be chomping on celery sticks in no time!
- 2 cans (398mL) black beans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red thai chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp water
- 3-4 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ - 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- chopped chives, green onion, cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Place 2 Tbsp olive oil, chopped onions, garlic, and thai chili pepper into a small saucepan and heat on medium heat for about 5 mins or until onions begin to soften, stirring often.
- Remove from heat & set aside.
- Drain & rinse beans.
- Add beans, water, 2 Tbsp olive oil, cumin, salt & pepper into a blender. Add onion mixture scraping the pan with a spatula to get all of the oil.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Add more water if needed, and seasoning to taste.
- Add garnish & serve immediately, or store in fridge to serve later adding garnish just before serving.