When making significant dietary changes, such as eliminating gluten and dairy intake, often people fear that there are no foods that they can eat – but this is far from the truth! So, to help you find gluten-free and dairy-free food options here in Moncton, NB, we have made a grocery shopping list for selected stores and markets around the city. And to give you a visual, we’ve added links to some of the products so you can easily recognize the foods that you’re looking for when you’re out grocery shopping.
So, try not to feel overwhelmed or discouraged when decreasing or completely phasing out two of the most common allergens – dairy and gluten. Because, as you can see, there’s lots of food options out there for you to choose from, and cooking in this way is actually very easy! With every change, it’s always good to start out small by incorporating a few new dishes and options at a time so you can discover what food items you and your family enjoy best. When people get started on this path, many find that they can easily make the change to gluten and dairy free foods, and their family either won’t notice or will enjoy the flavours and textures that these new foods bring to the table.
Costco (*Please note that Costco’s inventory changes frequently so some items may be there seasonally or temporarily)
- TruRoots Ancient Grains Penne Pasta (gluten-free)
- Carrington Farms organic coconut oil
- Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts
- Almond Preference Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk
- Ocean’s canned wild Alaskan sockeye salmon (4 cans)
- Kirkland frozen wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon fillet pack
- Moov Frozen pesticide free wild blueberries
- Crunchmaster multi-grain gluten-free crackers
- MaraNatha natural roasted almond butter
- Kirklands Organic Salsa
- Que Pasa & Kirkland organic tortilla chips
- Kirkland Organic canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, & tomato paste
- Skyvalley Organic Sriracha hot sauce
- Kirkland organic chicken & vegetable broth
- Home Goodness Organic beef broth
- Simply Natural Organic Tomato & Basil pasta sauce
- Bob’s Redmill gluten-free Steel Cut Oats
- Fontaine Sante Traditional Hummus
- Grimm’s lean Turkey pepperoni
- Nature’s Wild Grains – black chia seeds
- Organic by Mariana organic, unsulphured Malatya Apricots
- Kirkland’s roasted organic sunflower seeds
- Kirkland’s roasted organic pumpkin seeds
- Kirkland’s walnut halves
- Kirkland’s natural whole raw almonds
- Bag of avocados
Dieppe Food Market
- We buy most of our groceries here from the market, as they have a large variety of seasonal vegetables & fruits, berries, meats, bread, seafood, and maple syrup.
- Broadfork Farm: amazing locally grown organic veggies (seasonal only)
- Local by Atta: hydroponic salad & micro greens (order 10 week box to ensure your favorites are available to you weekly)
- Nature’s Route Farm (Kent): carrots, kale, cabbage, potatoes, kohlrabi, onions, beets.
- Spring Brook Farm: chicken; lamb; eggs – feed is free of additives.
- La Ferme Terre Partagée: organic strawberries (u-pick available), organic produce (seasonal), kombucha, hot sauce, select meats
- Wild Blueberry Meadows Farm (Murray & Diane Tweedie) : year round blueberries, juice, and jam.
- Oliver’s German bakery – all products are sugar free, wheat free, yeast free, GMO free, & organic! such as pizza dough, bagels, buns, a large variety of bread loaves (nine grain, dark rye, bavarian rye…), a wonderful spread of baked goods baked goods, as well as pizza sauce, quiche & other treats
- David & Murray Bunnett Family Farm: organic grass fed beef, chicken and turkey, organic sausage, organic flour, free-range eggs, organic pumpkin seeds and local organic flax seeds (join his email list to place orders and he will set up a drop off location).
- Jamieson Beef – beautiful cuts of steak, ground beef, and other beef products
- Lewis Mountain Fresh Farm (Craig): organic sauerkraut, organic fresh ginger, turmeric & dried spices
- Armadale Farm (owned by Ian & Hetty): hormone/antibiotic/preservative/additive-free butter, quark, yogourts, and cheddar/gouda/feta cheeses
- Joe Caissie Seafood: local brined shrimp.
- La Fleur du Pommier: empire apples, preserved raspberry jam.
- Bulk spices & herbs
- Bulk 70% dark organic chocolate chips
- A wide variety of bulk nuts & seeds (our favorites are brazil nuts & raw pumpkin seeds)
- Bulk tahini (seasame seed paste used to make hummus) & nut butters
- Silver Hills – gluten free breads, frozen (omega flax & chia chia)
- Variety of bulk gluten-free flours (teff, sorghum, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, quinoa flour, coconut flour, etc).
- Blue monkey organic canned coconut milk
- Eden Organics canned chickpeas
- Daiya – vegan cheese shreds
- Organic Meadows Salted & Unsalted Butter (*Seasonally, they carry limited edition pasture fed butter)
- Shitake & Maitake mushrooms, fresh
- Bob’s Redmill gluten-free flours (coupon in ‘healthy shopper’)
- Rizopia – wild rice pasta
- Eden Organic canned chickpeas
- A. Vogel Herbamare salt
- Lundberg organic rice cakes
- So Delicious Coconut cultured yogurt
- Olympic organic yogurt
- L’Ancetre organic medium white cheddar cheese
- Organic baby kale and organic mixed baby lettuces
- Our compliments organic brown rice spaghetti noodles
- Silver Hills gluten free Omega flax & Chia Chia bread
- So Delicious Organic Coconut milk
- Bob’s Redmill gluten-free flours and grains (coupon in ‘healthy shopper’ coupon booklet)
- Go Bio organic vegetable bouillon cube
- A. Vogel Herbamare salt
- Variety of bulk gluten-free flours (teff, sorghum, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, quinoa flour, coconut flour, etc)
- A variety of organic beans & lentils
- Nature’s Path Millet Rice or Mesa Sunrise
- San-J gluten-free organic tamari soy sauce
Amazon.ca – Subscribe & Save
- 365 Everyday Value Organic Brown Basmati Rice
- 365 Everyday Value Organic Vanilla Extract
- Taj Mahal Organic White Basmati Rice
- New World Organic Tahini
- Thai Kitchen Green and Red Curry Paste
- YuPik Organic Tapioca Starch
- Everland Organic Prunes
- Bob’s Redmill or Everland Teff Flour
- Thai Kitchen or Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk cans
Moncton Naturopathic Medical Clinic
- St. Francis organic extra virgin olive oil
- St.Francis Organic Ghee
- Thorne Vegalite protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- Thorne Mediclear Plus protein powder
- Thorne Mediclear SGS protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
Sobeys on Elmwood Dr. has a Wellbeing Counsellor (Registered Holistic Nutritionist) in their Natural Source and Wellbeing sections who can help educate customers and guide them to choices that meet their dietary needs (such as gluten free, dairy free, etc.)- education, mini consultations, and workshops are all avaliable at little to no cost!